Digital Preservation 2014 Meeting
Digital Preservation 2014
Digital Preservation 2014 is the annual meeting of the National Digital Information Infrastructure and Preservation Program and the National Digital Stewardship Alliance. DP 2014 brings together the brightest minds exploring solutions to the challenges of stewarding digital content over the long-term.
Venue: Washington Marriott Georgetown
1221 22nd St NW
Washington, DC 20037
Venue and logistics information can be found here.
Venue: Catholic University of America
Columbus Law School
3600 John McCormick Rd. N.E.
Washington, D.C. 20064
Twitter hashtag: #digpres14
Day 1, Tuesday, July 22, 2014
|9:00 a.m.||Welcoming Remarks|
|9:15 a.m.||"National Digital Stewardship Alliance"
Micah Altman, Director of Research, Massachusetts Institute of Technology Libraries, and Chair, NDSA Coordinating Committee (PDF 1.6 MB)
|9:30 a.m.||"Software, It’s a Thing"
Matt Kirschenbaum, Associate Director of the Maryland Institute for Technology in the Humanities (PDF 8 MB)
|10:00 a.m.||"Preservation Aesthetics"
Shannon Mattern, Associate Professor, The New School (PDF 6.8 MB)
|10:30 - 10:50 a.m.||Break: poster session preview|
|10:50 a.m.||PANEL: "Stewarding Space Data"
- Vivek Navale, NARA (moderator)|
- Hampapuram Ramapriyan, NASA (PDF 737 KB)
- Deirdre Byrne, NOAA (NODC) (PDF 2.1 MB)
- Emily Frieda Shaw, University of Iowa Libraries (PDF 3.4 MB)
- Robin Dasler and Karl Nilsen, University of Maryland Libraries (PDF 1.2 MB)
Lightning Talks- "Beyond the Russian Doll Effect: Reflexivity and the Digital Repository Paradigm" - James A. Bradley, Ball State University (PDF 5 MB)
- "Video Game Source Disc Preservation" - David Gibson, Library of Congress (PDF 844 KB)
- "UELMA-Compliant Preservation: Questions and Answers?" Rebecca Katz, Council of the District of Columbia (PDF 137 KB)
- "We Want You Just the Way You Are: The What, Why and When of fixity in Digital Preservation" - Kate Murray, Library of Congress (PDF 724 KB)
- "Save Your Databases Using SIARD!" - Krystyna Ohnesorge, Swiss Federal Archives SFA (PDF 514 KB)
|12:30 p.m.||Lunch and Presentation of 2014 NDSA Innovation Awards (PDF 194 KB)
- Institution: National Software Reference Library (Doug White, NIST, accepting on behalf of the institution)
- Project: XFR STN, The New Museum (Johanna Burton, New Museum, accepting on behalf of the project) (PDF 885 KB)
- Individual: Trevor Muñoz, Asst. Dean for Digital Humanities Research at the University of Maryland Libraries and an Associate Director of the Maryland Institute for Technology in the Humanities.
- Future Steward: Emily Reynolds, Program Specialist, Institute of Museum and Library Services
|1:40 p.m.||“Community Driven Innovation”
Cole Crawford, Executive Director, Open Compute Foundation
PANEL: "Community Approaches to Digital Stewardship" (PDF 1.3 MB)
- Meg Phillips, NARA (moderator)
- Fran Berman, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
- Bradley Daigle, University of Virginia
- Aaron Rubinstein, University of Massachusetts Amherst
- Jaime Schumacher, Northern Illinois University
3:30 to 5:00
WORKSHOPS AND BREAKOUT SESSIONS
|Session 1||"The Fragile Surface: Preserving the CD-R"
John Passmore, NY Public Radio (PDF 1.5 MB)
"More Than A Best Practice: Taxonomy As Tactical Preservation At NPR"
"Next Generation: The First Digital Repository for Museum Collections" (PDF 9 MB)
"Revisiting Digital Forensics Workflows in Collecting Institutions"
"Research and Development for Digital Cultural Heritage: An Open Forum" (PDF 5.49 MB)
- Josh Sternfeld, NEH
- Gail Truman, Truman Technologies
"Beyond Transfer Stations: Collaborative Efforts Towards Digital Preservation of Analog Video and Born-Digital at XFR Collective" (PDF 8.2 MB)
- Andrea Callard, COLAB
- Rebecca Fraimow, Dance Heritage Coalition
- Julia Kim, New York University, Moving Image Archiving and Preservation
"Infrastructure Development: Multiple Digital Content Types in a Single Collection"
"The Great Migration: Moving First Generation Digital Texts to HathiTrust" (PDF 305 KB)
- Lance Stuchell, University Library, University of Michigan
- Kat Hagedorn, University Library, University of Michigan
"Access and Preservation in the Cloud: Lessons from Operating Preservica" (PDF 2.35 MB)
|5:00 to 7:00||
Poster Session (PDF 252 KB)
"USGS Libraries Digitization Project Update"
"The Occupy Web Archive: Is the movement still on the live web?"
"Stairway to Heaven: Steps to Sustaining Digital Initiatives in the National Digital Stewardship Residency"
"The Digital POWRR Project: Enabling Collaborative Approaches to Digital Preservation"
"Picture This: Migrating Metadata in Visual Materials Collections"
"Tyranny of Water"
"NOAA Digital Collections: Archiving, Online Access, and Metadata Exchange"
"Web Archiving: Capturing Best Practices and Tools"
"Enhancing and Promoting Data Services: CLIR/DLF Postdoctoral Fellowship Program in Data Curation"
"Digital Audiovisual Preservation and Data Tape Workflows"
"Cariniana Network – a case study of a Brazilian Network of Digital Preservation"
"Web Archiving in Practice"
"1.21 Gigahertz! Bringing Library Filmstrips Back to the Future"
"Digital Preservation Outreach: Student Projects at CUA"
"Building an Archive from the Ground-UP: New Ways to Recruit Volunteers"
"Linked Data Registry: A New Approach to Technical Registries"
"Open Access to Government Data: Implications for Digital Curation"
Mat Kelly, Old Dominion University
Day 2, Wednesday, July 23, 2014
|9:00 a.m.||WORKSHOPS AND BREAKOUT SESSIONS|
"Digital Preservation Questions and Answers"
Hosted by NDSA Innovation Working Group
Tools Showcase and Demo Session
"Wayne State University’s digital collections infrastructure"
John Sarnowski, The ResCarta Foundation (PDF 1.6 MB)
"Dance Heritage Coalition"
Chris Lacinak, AVPreserve (PDF 15.9 MB)
"Developing a Born-Digital Preservation Workflow"
Porter Olsen, MITH
"Planning a Web Archiving Project"
"Preserving and Rescuing Heritage Information on Analog Media"
- Fenella France, Library of Congress (PDF 2.4 MB)
- Vivek Navale, NARA (PDF 415 KB)
- Elizabeth Griffin, CODATA Task Group (PDF 34 KB)
- Chris Muller, Muller Media Conversions (PDF 4.5 MB)
- Carmen Skarlupka, Chesapeake Bay Watershed (PDF 630 KB)
"A Model for Integrating the Publication and Preservation of Journal Articles"
Kevin S. Hawkins, University of North Texas (PDF 440 KB)
"Kairos: A Journal of Rhetoric, Technology, and Pedagogy"
"Preserving News and Journalism" (PDF 2.6 MB)
- Leslie Johnston, NARA
- Aurelia Moser, Knight/Mozilla OpenNews
- Edward McCain, Missouri School of Journalism
- Anne Wootton, PopUpArchive
"The National Digital Stewardship Residency Program in DC, NYC and Boston" (PDF 5.58 MB)
- Margo Padilla, Metropolitan New York Library Council (METRO)
- George Coulbourne, Library of Congress
- Andrea Goethals, Harvard Library
- Nancy McGovern, MIT Libraries
- Kris Nelson, Library of Congress
- Vickie Allen, PBS
- Jamie McCurry, Hillwood Estate, Museum & Gardens
- Maureen McCormick Harlow, PBS
"Digital Preservation Audit and Planning with ISO 16363 and NDSA Levels of Preservation"
- Seth Anderson, AVPreserve (PDF 145 KB)
- John Faundeen, USGS (PDF 6.26 KB) (PDF 168 KB)
- Bert Lyons, AVPreserve (PDF 1.38 MB)
"Using Metadata to Support the Presumption of Authenticity"
Adam Jansen, University of Hawaii (PDF 400 KB)
"Implementing Preservation Metadata: PREMIS Conformance and Best Practices"
This session will offer the opportunity for attendees to meet one-on-one for 10 min discussions with program staff from three public funding agencies:
- Institute of Museum and Library Services
- National Historical Publications and Records Commission, and
- National Endowment for the Humanities.
|Lunch and Presentations: CURATEcamp Preview and Lightning Talks|
"CURATEcamp: Digital Culture" Preview
"Visual Haggard and Digitizing Illustration"
"DuraSpace and Chronopolis Partner to Build a Long-term Access and Preservation Platform”
"Library of Congress Recommended Formats"
"Electronic Records and Digital Archivists: A Landscape Review"
"Research Data and Curation"
- Dharma Akmon, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- Inna Kouper, Indiana University
(PDF 443 KB)
- Ixchel Faniel, OCLC Research
"Contending with the Network"
George Oates, Director, Good, Form & Spectacle
"Future of Web Archiving" (PDF 1.1 MB)
- Stephen Abrams, CDL
- Martin Klein, LANL (PDF 5.2 MB)
- Jimmy Lin, University of Maryland (PDF 3.5 MB)
- Michael Nelson, Old Dominion University (PDF 2.2 MB)
"Big Data, Little Narration"
Dragan Espenschied, Rhizome
|5:00 pm||Wrap-up / Adjourn|
- Community reflections: blog posts by meetingattendees and news articles:
- Mat Kelly's Trip Report, on the Old Dominion University's Web Science and Digital Libraries Research Group blog 2014-07-25: Digital Preservation 2014 Trip Report (external link)
- Shannon Mattern's blog post and text of her talk: "Preservation Aesthetics: My Talk for the LoC’s Digital Preservation Conference"
- Matt Kirschenbaum's blog post and text of his talk, "Software, It’s a Thing"
- Inna Kouper's blog post for CLIR, "Digital Preservation Meeting DP-2014"
- Related Signal blog posts:
- Call for Proposals: Digital Preservation 2014
- Preview of the Digital Preservation 2014 program
- Research and Development for Digital Cultural Heritage Preservation: A (Virtual and In-Person) Open Forum
- End-of-Life Care for Aging, Fragile CDs and Their Data Content
- Preserving Folk Cultures of the Digital Age: An interview with Folklorist Trevor J. Blank, Part I and Part 2
- Recommended Format Specifications from the Library of Congress: An Interview with Ted Westervelt
- Preview of Digital Preservation 2014: Panel Members from “Community Approaches to Digital Stewardship”
- Preservation Aesthetics: An interview with Shannon Mattern
- LOLCats and Libraries: A Conversation with Internet Librarian Amanda Brennan
- Residency Program Update and Panel Preview for DP2014
- Extending the Life of a Story Through Taxonomy at National Public Radio
- Digital Preservation Questions Meet Digital Preservation Answers
- Scoring, Not Storing: Digital Preservation Assessment Criteria at #digpres14
- Preserving Born Digital News at Digital Preservation 2014
- Preserving and Curating Research Data: Panel Preview for DP2014
- Art is Long, Life is Short: the XFR Collective Helps Artists Preserve Magnetic and Digital Works
- Digital Preservation 2014 Session Preview: Preserving and Rescuing Heritage Information on Analog Media
- Future Steward on Stewardship’s Future: An Interview with Emily Reynolds
- Digital Preservation 2014 in Three, Two, One…
- Digital Preservation 2014: It’s a Thing